Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Over the Rainbow

Over. Hmmmmm...... "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Judy Garland... what a lovely tune, melancholy, but lovely. How does one get over a rainbow anyway? Perhaps I found a magical ladder that allowed me to climb high enough so I could slide down one brightly-hued fractal of light to its other side? Which leads me to wonder just where do we get the phrases that we use so often? These sweetly twisted words that create a life of their own, beyond that of their individual worth.... what is it that causes words to have such a hold over me? To steal away with my imagination (a theft I don't mind in the least as it always comes back to me properly exercised and harmlessly entertained) and allows me to wander down pathways of thinking that I may otherwise never have taken. There is a power in words...for words can lift you up and over even the most intangible of obstacles. I believe in words.... in the hands of some they wound, for others they heal. For me? If I am being honest then its a bit of both... we all use words for ill at some point in our lives, when we are hurt or frustrated, but I would like to think that for me they do more good than harm. Some words are loaded, like guns.... others can only inspire joy... like daisies. How can you find hurt in a sweet word like that? Over is a word of many implications. You can use it so angrily ("I am sooooo over you!") or spread it out to signify relief ("wow, glad I made it over THAT hurdle!") or even use it as stage direction ("you go over the river and through the wood"). Words like over are ones that need to be used ever so carefully, for you never know when it may creep up behind you and smack you upside the head ("I can't believe you ran right over my wishes on this!"). But then my mind wanders to running over wishes.... how does one do that? Did you leave them lying in the street for anyone to smash? My, my, my....how careless of you. Hope you get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment